Thursday, April 9, 2009

For Your Eyes Only







It is said the “EYES ARE THE WINDOW TO THE SOUL”. Most mornings like this one, I awaken with a puffy soul.

So my first act in the morning is to spray my eyes with Organic Rose Hydrosol ( for more information on this product go to http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/files/products/skincare.html) . This shot of moisture helps to start draining the stagnant fluids while I prepare myself to meet the world.

My daughter, who inherited this sluggish circulation around the eyes applies a cooling hydrating mask like our Calming Cucumber Mask instead. ( for more information on this product go to http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/files/products/skincare.html).

What’s the difference? It is really personal preferences. My Vata nature is impatient and want to move quickly onto my day while she is Pitts and moves through her day with more purposefully and demands better results.

It could be multiuse products as I also use the Organic Rose Hydrosol as my hydrator throughout the day while Kristen uses the Calming Cucumber Mask weekly to alleviate her sensitive skin’s redness and inflammation.

No matter, we both end up with less puffy eyes.

In the middle of the day, as my skin dehydrates, my eyes look more aged I freshen up my eyes with a dab of Collagen Elastin Plus( for more information on this product go to http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/files/products/skincare.html). This is a great trick to freshen your whole face if you want to look your best for a special night out.

Now you may be perplexed when I also complain about being plagued with dry eyes.

You may want to scream, “MAKE UP YOUR MIND – Do you have dry eyes or puffy eyes!”.

But the two are not mutually exclusive. The swelling from accumulating liquid is caused by dehydration. The dehydration in turn is caused by a lack of circulation as the delivery of moist nutrients to the cells is being impeded by under functioning capillaries. Therefore dehydration makes your eyes look and feel dry and also leaves you suffering from puffiness. It’s a generous two for.

So keep the areas around the eyes beautiful and healthy by keeping them moist. See previous blog entry, “VANITY IS GOOD FOR YOU” to read about how moist skin maintains good circulation.

For the adventurous try Netra Basti. A few years ago I treated my dry eyes to Netra Basti, an Ayurvedic Eye Treatment at the Ayurvedic Institute in New Mexico ( for more information about the Ayurvedic Institute and their Panchakarma program go to http://www.ayurveda.com/panchakarma/index.html ). This nourishing eye treatment is done by building a dam around the eye socket where warm ghee is poured over an open eye. For about fifteen minutes your therapist leads you through eye exercises which clean of pollution and other debris caught behind the eyes. This eye treatment relieved my chronic eye strain and rejuvenated my aging eye area. It was worth the day of looking like one who awoke from a major alcoholic binge as my eyes swelled up from greedily absorbing the ghee.

If after you have tried the serum and eye cream and even Netra Basti and you still have puffy eyes it may be due to aging organs. Chronic dehydration and water retention can reveal a weakening kidney. As we age our organs need some pampering. I take Banyan Botanicals Kidney Formula to give my kidneys a boost. If you are plagued with puffy eyes or dark circles ( also caused by circulatory problems or it could be warning you of an oveloaded liver) see a good Naturopath, Traditional Chinese Doctor or Ayurvedic Doctor to give a boost to overloaded or weakening organs. Look good; Feel good at its truest!

More about Naturopaths, Traditional Chinese Doctors ad Ayurvedic Doctors along with detoxing organs later. Please feel free to ask questions here or in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment